Monday, February 20, 2012

Memphis

"Folk music. Remember when that crap almost caught on?" Probably my all-time favorite Martin Mull quote. As a kid I was always scared to death of folk music. The media was always working to make fools like me worry that rock'n'roll might be replaced at any moment. They worked it with calypso, too, so I was never much of a Harry Belafonte fan.

Now I find that after forty eight or forty nine years of playing my beloved rock'n'roll that I'm a folksinger. I don't want to offend anyone here. Not everyone agrees with that. I do whatever it is that I do, whatever it is that I've always done. Unlike all those sensitive artists who don't want to be pigeonholed, stereotyped or classified, I'm always anxious to be a part of anything. Unlike Groucho Marx, I'm dying to join any group.

I'm off to Memphis this week to play Folk Alliance. I can't wait. I walk up to those little huddles in the hallways and blunder into all of the,"What model Taylor is that?" Nobody has to tell me that I don't fit here. These are nice folks, however, and honestly, I don't fit anywhere.
  



No comments:

Post a Comment