Thursday, October 13, 2011

How Fine, This Line?

So I find myself, again, wrestling with self-doubt, depression and self-pity. Am I the luckiest man who ever lived, with no limits put on me by anyone; or am I the loneliest, self-serving, unaware chump walking the planet? I could put up a pretty good case for either theory. It might be healthy for me to settle on one for awhile.

If I whine to friends they quickly point out that I am surrounded by love. Always have been. That should be enough for the positive side to win. I have been fortunate to have done exactly what I wanted to do at almost every step in my life without any real compromise.

The devil on my other shoulder quickly points out, with glee, that I have failed at my profession, lost at love and never made any money. I need no reminding that I have wanted to bring about world peace and feed the hungry, too, and you can see how far I've gotten there.

Maybe life is the battle, though. I have remained true to my principals and I continue to fight for everything that is important to me. I hope that I have done it with my sense of humor intact, too. I may have run out of romance but I will never run out of love. I may never have a hit record but I will always have new songs. At least it is easy to remain humble.

Give us peace on earth and end this dreadful, dreadful war. I love you all very much.

1 comment:

  1. Mike says you need to sleep later. Your cat needs to leave you alone.

    But I must say that you are one of the finest people I've ever met and I am so glad to have you in my and my husband's life.

    You've already got it figured out with the important things in life.

    ReplyDelete